Wednesday 12 July 2006

First Impressions

The best way to describe the weather here is - pleasant. It's warm but not hot and definitely not cold, unless you count the aircons in the malls ;) It's raining today, and apparently from August it gets really humid, so I guess I'll only experience the true Canadian summer in a couple of weeks still. Sigh... saw an advertising poster yesterday - "There are only 58.7 days in a Canadian summer- make the most of it".


The strangest part is the sun setting so late, after 21h30. At least the malls, shops and banks are open till late! Was at the North American institution of Wal-Mart last night... omigod, the variety and choice is mind-numbing. Yes it took me two hours just to buy shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste and shower wash! Just in general, the sheer volume and variety of products available in stores is just incredible... I mean, where do people find money and space for all this STUFF!!
Starting to wonder if I shouldn't just leave everything behind and not bother shipping anything over. I have yet to hit the malls for clothing and household stuff though, so I guess I'll see how it goes.

Went to the bank this morning, to re-activate my dormant bank account that I opened here last here. The teller asked where I was from, 'cos she likes my accent! Must say that's a first for me ;) Hopefully I won't lose it in lieu of the North American twang (and no I still cannot tell the difference between a Canadian and an American accent).

Going to dinner for a friend's birthday tonight, so I will be wandering around (hopefully not getting lost) downtown Toronto before meeting Brendon after work. Hoping to check out some yoga studios and re-orient myself with the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment